International Discernment Weekends
Discernment weekends (DWE) are an important element of the application and interview process for an international placement. The DWE is a time for invited applicants and the JVC staff to get to know one another and provide a forum for information and discussion regarding the international program.
The type of relationship and commitment one is invited to as an international Jesuit Volunteer is both a tremendous gift and responsibility. Both JVC staff and applicants are called to honestly and prayerfully explore together if this is the right time in one's life for such a commitment and if JVC is the type of program that best fits one's call to service overseas.
Below, you will find more information about discernment weekends. Please take time to download, read, and review all relevant documents prior to attending.
Individual weekend pre-reading resource packet
- Washington, D.C.- March 1-3, 2013
- Chicago- March 8-10, 2013
- Washington, D.C.- March 15-17, 2013
- Santa Clara- March 15-17, 2013
Document to Complete and Bring to DWE
- Medical/mental health release form. Please print this form and bring it with you to your DWE, as well as any information you would need to complete the form.
Resources to Read Prior to DWE
- Resource: Discernment Is/Is Not
- Resource: Discernment Program Questions
- Article: JV Reflections from the Field
- Article: Mission as Stranger
- Article: Women at the Well
- Article: First Steps for Missioners
- Article: Crossing Cultures
- Article: Factors for Dealing with Success on Mission
- Article: Missioning Process