Am I Eligible?
The Jesuit Volunteer Corps welcomes women and men regardless of culture, economic status, ethnic origin, gender, physical challenge, or sexual orientation.
- Be a single, young adult, ages 21 – 35 with no dependents.
- Hold a college degree or have equivalent work experience.
- Be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or have permission to legally work in the U.S.
- Be willing to commit to at least one year in the U.S. or two years abroad to full time service and community living.
- Be excited by a commitment to the values of community, social justice, simple living, and spirituality.
- Have a sense of humor. The JVC experience is full of new and challenging adventures, so being flexible and having the ability to laugh is important.
Some positions may require additional skills, including:
- Spanish-language fluency or proficiency
- Teaching certification
- Nurse credentials (RN)
- Driver's license
The majority of our placements offer the chance to share many of your talents. During your JV experience, you will be able to bring your love for dance, art, theater, music, gardening, cooking, or poetry to the organization. JVs come from a variety of different backgrounds and perspective which offers you an opportunity to make each position your own.
What does a "typical" Jesuit Volunteer look like?
There is no "typical" Jesuit Volunteer. Each JV brings a unique story, experience, and history to the program. While living in community, JVs learn and grow together, sharing their backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives.
In 2014, 314 JVs began their service around the country and the world. Some facts about this class include:
- 73% identify as Catholic
- 77% are 21 or 22 years old; all are under 30 years old
- 40 states, with the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico are represented
- 78% are women
Over the past few years, JVs have included:
- An average of 70% identify as Caucasian, 15% Latino, 10% Asian or Pacific Islander, and 5% African American
- An average of 50 JVs each year speak a second language
- Alumnii from about 110 colleges and universities are represented each year
- Dozens of legacies--siblings, cousins, children of Former Jesuit Volunteers
Want to learn more about becoming a JV? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.